raw_id_fields can be a bit confusing to people. Have you tried the new
autocomplete_fields? It's almost as easy to use as a select field, and it
should help solve the problem. However, it's not as easy to make the
default (because it requires specifying search_fields on the related model)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFO84S4kK_D5c8MbE3OHDhsNcrpuTJpLBfbx79hD%2BS-DDnjdTA%40mail.gmail.com.