Josh, I agree that silently not working is problematic but it has been this
way since prefetch_related() was introduced.

Something to keep in mind as well is that silently turning it on would also
perform P * C extra queries where P is the number of prefetches requested
through prefetch_related() and C the number of chunks the results contains.
This is non negligible IMO.

What I'd be in favor off is raising an exception on
prefetch_related(*prefetches).iterator() in the next release at least to
allow users using this pattern to adjust their code and then ship the
optimization with all the warnings related to the interactions between
prefetch_related(*prefetches) and iterator(chunk_size) in the next one.

I'm not completely completely against skipping the exception release phase
entirely given there might be users out there accessing attributes expected
to be prefetched on iterated instances and inadvertently performing tons of
queries but the exception phase just feels safer given iterator() is
usually used in memory constrained contexts.

Simon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/2389b18a-ea33-40eb-b5b0-929ab02a468a%40googlegroups.com.