On 6 Nov 2018, at 02:47, 'Ivan Anishchuk' via Django developers (Contributions
to Django itself) <django-developers@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> How about some field that intelligently guesses the table size and looks
> either like default select or like raw id field depending on that?

Yes, that would be interesting.

I implemented a manual version of this in a project:
- I ran a script to count the number of instances of each model and put those
with more than 100 or 1000 instances in a list
- I wrote a custom ModelAdmin class that automatically added ForeignKeys to
models in that list to raw_id_fields

Best regards,

--
Aymeric.