FWIW I'm pretty strongly -1 on this feature because Python's enums don't
behave the way people want them to for many use cases.

The basic problem is that, to take the example in the ticket, if I were to
issue a request like "/students/?year=FR", and the view were to read that
"year" param and try to filter on it, it would fail -- the string "FR" will
not compare equal to the enum member "FR". So I couldn't easily use that to
filter for students whose year is Student.YearInSchool.Freshman.

This is a deliberate design decision in Python's enums which,
unfortunately, makes them unsuitable for the kinds of things people would
commonly use them for in Django; only the special one-off enum.IntEnum has
members that actually are comparable to a base Python type, and writing
special-case enum variants for other types to try to enable comparability
would be a pain.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg8sn4FdjmFmsKenx_MTWNPC2TuE4vhEWpsM%2B%3DGReW4OwQ%40mail.gmail.com.