Hi all,

We could introduce a settings variable `SITEMAPS_PING_GOOGLE_HTTPS` that's part
of newly created projects' settings (in
https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/conf/project_template/project_name/settings.py-tpl)
 and set to `True`. In global_settings.py it defaults to `False`. Users could
then turn it on for existing projects. Once the deprecation period is over we
would simply remove the variable and thus enforce HTTPS. We could then also
possibly issue a notice through the checks framework that the variable is now
obsolete.

Cheers,

Markus

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/62496331-bdcd-4cdf-9fad-6d779f837f00%40www.fastmail.com.