I've also tried to come up with something better than Django's current default, using Enums, and found them lacking when it comes to the caption, especially when you need translations.

I would be happy with re-opening the ticket, but in terms of committing a solution I would be -1 unless we can find something which is definitely significantly better than the status quo, which the majority of people would want to use, rather than just an alternative - something that we would be happy to be become the recommended default and present in the docs as such. Otherwise we just have 2 ways to do it.

I quite like Tom's suggestion here:

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27910#comment:6

It's not perfect but seems a reasonable compromise given the constraints.

Luke