Ok, sorry for the Fake News, seems like it's not so complicated to make one
ModelAdmin parent class that provides this behavior. Here's a working
example:

from django.contrib import admin

from django.contrib.admin import widgets

class RawFieldModelAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    def formfield_for_foreignkey(self, db_field, request, **kwargs):
        db = kwargs.get('using')
        if 'widget' not in kwargs:
            if db_field.name not in (self.get_autocomplete_fields(request),
self.radio_fields):
                kwargs['widget'] = widgets.ForeignKeyRawIdWidget(db_field.
remote_field, self.admin_site, using=db)

        return super().formfield_for_foreignkey(db_field, request, **kwargs)

Do you folks think we should add this to the docs? I still think that
having a one-off setting for the "default foreign key" widget would be
valuable, at least for me as a user.

What do you think?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4144aaca-34b8-4960-8f70-7a37f745c970%40googlegroups.com.