Hi

One of the most difficult things for me while preparing my GSoC proposal
was getting myself acquainted to Django's humungous code base.
To prepare a proposal one should know what modules they would need to
modify & what part of the code they will need to work with. To do that one
should *at least* know what is the role of a particular module/file in the
big picture of Django's code. For me, even though I had drilled down that I
had to work just with django/db, I still had the task of figuring out the
working of *so* many modules. There were *models.options, models.sql.query,
models.sql.compiler, migrations.autodetector, migrations.loader,
migrations.optimizer*, *backends.features*, *backends.introspection*,
*backends.operations*, *backends.schema* and many more which were somehow
connected to each other & doing something but I had no easy way to know
what.
I think putting an individual README to places like django/core/
<https://github.com/django/django/tree/master/django/core>, django/db/models
<https://github.com/django/django/tree/master/django/db/models>/, etc. with
even a 1-2 line description of what purpose each of the folder/file (or at
least the convoluted ones) in that folder serve might be great help to
newbie programmers - just not for GSoC but any new contributor.
I understand that the work required to make this happen might be quite big
and complex (maybe big enough to make it a GSoC project in itself, but
Google doesn't accept purely documentation projects for GSoC IIRC) but
might be achievable if merged in parts.

@Parth I am Django's GSoC fellow for 2016. If there is any way I could help
you, feel free to reach me out
<https://gist.github.com/akki/b438292c2c3cf199012f#5-about-me>. For other
fellows, you can search for Django in the archives of GSoC's website
<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/past-summers>.
Also, a quick way to ask questions about contributing to Django from the
community is the IRC channel #django-dev

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/94246e44-0a18-492e-bae9-5c340c5734a3%40googlegroups.com.