Chiming in. As a long-time django user (nearly a decade), websockets is an
area that the project on the whole is very, very, far behind the leading
edge of the web industry. It's great, often desirable, to not be *on* the
leading edge, but in my opinion, the project is too far behind it.

There are numerous projects where I would, now, not consider using django
(or at least, using it only for the admin to save time/effort). That is the
first issue that I see for the django project as a whole.

Secondly, and probably something Andrew expects to be helped (if not
outright solved), is the general speed of serving requests. Async can
absolutely help here (How much it helps is up for debate). As a developer
who is using a lot more NodeJS now the inherent speed in that platform's
request lifecycle can often be a game-changer in terms of performance and
resources needed.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/b357add7-cd44-4c12-b29b-0d28150417a2%40googlegroups.com.