I’ve moderated a couple small-medium forums (2k-8k) members as well as
participated in many online.

I am in favor of moving to a forum system for a lot of reasons. I’d be
curious who would be the community manager(s) (not moderators per se) and
if the tone would be similar to the docs and wiki or closer to the IRC
channel and a bit relaxed. It is potentially an opportunity to curate a lot
of great community information similar to the PyCoders newsletter with
advanced tutorials, QA on popular third party libs like storages or getting
started with the  cookiecutter layout.

I agree with James- it will take a moderation team and some manual work to
keep it moving smoothly.

I know PHPBB is the de facto board system but I’ll toss out a hat tip to
XenForo.com. It’s in use for Advrider.com and performs very well.