On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:00:08 -0800 (PST)
Strahinja Lukic <strahinja.lukic....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am relatively new to Django, and I recently ran into the problem of
> translating messages with automatic inclusion of model names / verbose
> names into a language in which nouns are inflected depending on the gender
> and case. I see that this problem occurs in forums, but has no definitive
> solution. Occasionally people suggest using more case/gender neutral
> messages, but this approach has both linguistic and technical difficulties.

I don't have any solutions to this problem but I just want to give an
example in my own native language:

In the Danish translation of the Django admin, "Save and add another"
is translated into "Gem og tilføj endnu en", which is correct and
literally means "Save and add another one".

Unfortunately this translation uses the gendered pronoun "en" which
should ideally be inflected according to the gender of the model being
added/modified, using "en" for nouns of common gender and "et" for
nouns of neuter gender. The variant "Gem og tilføj endnu" is not
grammatically valid; the Danish language only has a translations of
"another one" and not of simply "another" in this context.

I don't know how Django could accomodate automatic inflection of such
messages.

Best,
Mathias Rav