Hi,

I have not posted all the objects involved with this as that would make for
a lot of code. If needed will provide.

I am trying to serialize an object using a custom defined
HyperlinkRelatedField. The subclass is required to get the correct object
to link to--class contains two objects for each item, a "Draft" object, and
the "Published" object.

For example, the base model:

PK    Object               Status        Slug
1       EventSeries A   Draft          eventseries-a
14     EventSeries A   Published  eventseries-a
2       EventSeries B   Draft          eventseries-b
22     EventSeries B   Published  eventseries-b

By default the "draft" event is returned, so this initial override is done
in get_queryset method.

However, for each Event Series there can be 0, n related Event objects
which also have a draft and published version.

These are related to the EventSeries model using a custom
HyperlinkedRelatedField. This enables me to use the get_object method to
return the published object instead of the draft.

This works perfectly as long as there are associated Event objects. When
there are none, I am getting the error Cannot resolve URL for hyperlinked
relationship...

I have tried adding allow_null=True, allow_blank=True to the custom
HyperlinkedRelatedField but neither help.

Alternatively, is there a way to override the to_representation method in
relations.py/HyperlinkedRelatedField?

Thanks in advance for your help.