Hi Carlton,

Yeh thanks I saw the release notes 5 mins after I posted this then deleted
the question.

Thanks for responding, Stu

On 12 April 2018 at 07:36, Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stuart.
>
> This was a breaking change in v3.8. It was necessary in order to support
> dotted-sources with nullable fields. (The tl;dr is that having the default
> set for read-only fields in these cases led to unavoidable inconsistencies,
> so we had to change it.)
>
> You now need to pass the value of your read-only field when calling save.
> In your case, something like:
>
>     def perform_create(self, serializer):
>         serializer.save(uploaded_by=self.request.user)
>
> Ultimately the new approach is more consistent. The use of defaults for
> read-only fields was always a little strange.
>
> This is mentioned in the 3.8 Release Announcement (and the Release Notes)
>
> http://www.django-rest-framework.org/topics/3.8-announcement/
>
> For **validation** you still need to set the default value as you always
> have. (This was broken in v3.8.0 but fixed in v3.8.2.)
>
> Thus this is still correct:
>
>     default=serializers.CurrentUserDefault()
>
> read-only fields that are part of a unique_together constraint still need
> some value to validate against, and the default plays that role.
>
> I hope that explains it.
>
> Since we’ve made changes here it may be that the docs could do with an
> adjustment. I think they’re still correct but maybe drawing this out better
> it needed. It would be good if you could review and offer any suggestions
> in a PR or Issue on the repo if you think that’s appropriate.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlton
>

> On 11 Apr 2018, at 23:30, Stuart George <stu...@accentdesign.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Ive been using the following with no issues for months, to set the default
> user and allow it to be sent out in the get requests:
>
> class FileSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
>     uploaded_by = serializers.PrimaryKeyRelatedField(
>         read_only=True,
>         default=serializers.CurrentUserDefault()
>     )
>
>     class Meta:
>         model = File
>         fields = ...
>
> Its used in a basic ModelViewSet and the uploaded_by is not part of any
> unique validators, it just required.
>
> I just want to check it this is still ok to do this as the uploaded_by is
> correctly in the serializers data but is missing from the validated_data
> when its reported as being valid.
> Then the save attempt as expected wines with IntegrityError: null value
> in column "uploaded_by_id" violates not-null constraint.
>
> I can see that there was a unique together validation went in 3.8.2
> for read_only + default. Im guessing this is the cause but wanted to check
> what im doing is still sensible.
>
> Cheers Stu
>
> --
>

> --

Stuart George
Senior Web Developer

Accent Design Group Ltd
The Studio, Adam & Eve Yard
94B St Benedicts Street, Norwich NR2 4AB

Tel: +44 (0) 1603 766062 Fax: +44 (0) 1603 767019
Web: www.accentdesign.co.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/AccentDesign
Skype: accent.stuart

Company Number: 4618709, Registered in: England & Wales.