#28124: Timezone-related overflows in utils
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Zac Hatfield Dodds   |                    Owner:  nobody
         Type:  Bug                  |                   Status:  closed
    Component:  Utilities            |                  Version:  1.11
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:  invalid
     Keywords:                       |             Triage Stage:
  timezone,overflow,datetime         |  Unreviewed
    Has patch:  0                    |      Needs documentation:  0
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Aymeric Augustin):

 FWIW it's a design decision of mine when I implemented time zone support
 in 1.4, not an oversight.

 Back then, Django also contained some code implementing datetime
 arithmetic beyond 1970 / 2038 for `humanize` filters, but that code wasn't
 consistent with the rest of Django. I'm not sure what it became; perhaps
 it's still there.

 In any case I'm not eager to implement time zone arithmetic besides what
 Python and pytz support. It doesn't feel like a generalist web framework
 like Django should do that. It's more of a job for a specialized library.

 For these reasons I agree with closing this ticket as wontfix.

--
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28124#comment:2>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/064.3b684d43ca82a894915aca0845073064%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to