On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:12:31PM +0100, Andy Shaw wrote:

> It does seem somewhat contradictory to refuse to let the built-in server
> serve static media in general whilst hacking it so that it does output
> the admin media. Presumably this is so that the admin CSS/Javascript is
> available, and so the admin works properly - but what happens when the
> same features are used in application views? The test server is no
> longer particularly useful to test applications with.

Sure it's useful.  It's not unusual at all to have static content served
from a server that's designed for that (ie apache) even when you're running
a very expensive app server such as weblogic.

I think the larger point is that the dev server isn't for serving static
content, it's for development.  I've used it on windows and linux, and it's
never been is issue in either case to have my style sheets, et al served
from apache.

Having said that... it would be nice (going back to a previous thread) to
have global properties available in templates so you could easily change
where the static content is coming from.

--B