Thanks everyone for the replies.

Anyways I looked at the kronos scheduler (pointed out by Canen above)
being used in Turbogears and what I wanted is more like this.

So currently the way I'm using this is to put kronos.py into the django
utils directory and then importing it from there. In a particular view,
I start a threaded scheduler if it hasn't been started yet and I assign
the repetitive task to it. This way the view's response is
instantaneous even the first time because the task will be running in a
separate thread. This seems to work for me!

Anyways I think it will be useful if Django has a scheduler like this
one included by default like TurboGears (actually it does not seem to
require much effort; just have to reuse the code in kronos.py).

Cheers,
Harish