Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:54 -0700, Glenn Tenney wrote:
> > Perhaps instead of relying on the behavor of the object's ID not
> > existing until it's been created, that should become a method.
> > something like Model.created() returning true/flase or Model.is_created
> > or... something...???
>
> I can't see any real advantage in this. As Ivan shows, it's only a
> couple of lines of code anyway (and a more or less documented feature).
> The boolean test for "not created" at the moment is "if not self.pk:",
> which seems pretty reasonable.

But doesn't that assume you are using an auto-generated ID column? What
if my model looked like this:

class Post(models.Model):
    slug = models.SlugField(prepopulate_from=('title',),
primary_key=True)
    title = models.CharField(maxlength=80)
    body = models.TextField()

In this case it would be up to the app or developer to populate the
slug primary key field before saving. But then just testing the pk
field wouldn't really tell me if it was saved, unless I misunderstand
what "self.pk" is actually doing behind the scenes.

I'll admit, my example is what I would consider bad form, but its valid
and I only point this out as I've seen it used.

-Dave