I've done any number of authentication-integration adapters, and it's
best to just use django.contrib.auth.models.User.  In your
authentication backend, just auto-create an instance of User if the
supplied username and password pass authentication.  You can use a
constant password, after all you're not going to check the Django
password anyway, right?  Depending on your needs, to may want to copy
a little bit of authorization information from the backend into Django
as well (e.g., staff status etc.).  Remember that if you copy any
authorization information you need to re-copy it on every login.

This isn't particular to Django at all.  The authentication backends
we've done for mediawiki, Drupal, etc. all work the same way -- copy
the user to the local db iff they pass authentication and
authorization to use the system at any level.

orokusaki is right that if you need extra information attached to the
User model, a one-to-one relationship is good, but in many situations
the username is enough and you don't even need to bother.

Leo