I'm not sure exactly what your application needs are, but... we
implement our intranet apps on Django at a bilingual (English/
Japanese) company.  It's pretty much like the docs say it is...   The
hardest part may be setting up the gettext utilities if you don't
already have them.

Make sure the settings and middleware are right (they probably are by
default), mark your strings, create the files, do the translation,
compile the results -- pretty much as documented.  It's a little bit
of hand work to add your own language override settings if you need
them (we always want that - the browser preferences are a good default
but not always correct).

That's all for translating your web application, not for translating
the content. I don't know of automatic support for translated content
(a la multilingual Drupal) although there may be some packages out
there for it (django-cms certainly has stuff along those lines).  We
simply build it into our apps where needed.

Leo