As far as breakpoints go, realize that you can only use them from
the development server ("python manage.py runserver"), and that
pdb shows up in the terminal where you ran that command, and
it must still be showing.

But since the data isn't in the expected format in the database, the
particular breakpoints I was talking about before aren't relevant.

Instead, in a terminal, cd'ed to your project directory (directory
containing settings.py and manage.py), and fixing my guess at
the name of the module containing Retsept, and using a query
field lookup that will get you one of these objects instead of my
"id__exact=1", type:

   python manage.py shell
   from retsepts.models import Retsept
   rs = Retsept.objects.get(id__exact=1)
   repr(rs.about)

Does the last command print a unicode string (u before the
opening quote) or a byte string with those '\x' excapes in it?
If unicode, then something is broken in the render code and
will require further nasty debugging.  If, on the other hand,
you get a byte string, then the problem is in the HTMLField
code, which I could believe depends on behavior that has
chaned in 1.2 (tiny not being a core product) and a work
around could be to subclass the field, making it decode
the UTF-8 into unicode, something like:

    class MyHTMLField(tinymce_models.HTMLField):
        def to_python(self, value):
            v = super(MyHTMLField, self).to_python(value)
            return v.decode('utf8')

By the way, what database are you using, and how is it
configured to store strings?

Bill