ah nice one Jason :)
sorry it took me a while to respond, I had a load more problems and I
sort of forgot about this one....

I didn't get your solution working, but while I was hacking away and
searching the net for ideas I found request.GET.get('q', '') in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/150505/django-capturing-url-parameters-in-request-get
and multiple url params in:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2364700/django-url-parameter-key-used-twice

I then realise that I was already overriding the admin models
get_form() which has the request parameter, so it was simply a matter
of setting the initial state of the field via: initial=doc_no and
passing in the parameters via: add/?doc_no=Test1&doc_desc=Test2
and Test1 and Test2 ended up in the correct boxes :), I'm a bit new to
web dev stuff so have never used url parameters, so I'm glad it was
this easy, only took about ten mins :)

I've no idea if this is the right way to do what I wanted, but it
works, here's the code....

class MyModelAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    def get_form(self, request, obj=None):
        """override some widgets for the admin change form"""
        form = super(MyModelAdmin, self).get_form(request, obj)

        doc_no = request.GET.get('doc_no', '')
        doc_desc = request.GET.get('doc_desc', '')

        form.base_fields['doc_no'] = forms.CharField(
            widget=forms.Textarea(),
            initial=doc_no)

        form.base_fields['doc_desc'] = forms.CharField(
            widget=forms.Textarea(),
            initial=doc_desc)

        return form

Thanks again Jason!