I'm suggesting to use one of signal-based approches as explained at
DjangoCon presentation by co-author of Satchmo.
Here is the link with examples of source code:
http://www.slideshare.net/ecomsmith/custom-signals-for-uncoupled-design.

Furthermore you can look at DjangoBook here:
http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/chapter07/

Have fun!
bx2