Ah, I see what you mean about sending things in plaintext over SSL.
You're right, that would be a lot simpler.

That said, I think I can handle the API keys with one model plus less
than a dozen lines of verification code, so it's not a huge burden.  I
just don't have a whole lot of experience devising security schemes,
so wanted to make sure the concept was fundamentally sound.  ;-)

Thanks  for all your help!