On 11 juin, 15:26, Marcus Whybrow <marcus.whyb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have found a ticket already open for this problem (http://
> code.djangoproject.com/ticket/13684),
> The problem was in fact that I had a settings.py file and a module
> called settings with default and local settings residing inside it.

If you mean "a directory with an __init__.py and some other .py
files", this is named a "package" in Python. A Python "module" is a
single .py file.

And indeed, having two modules or package or a module and a package by
the same name in your import path is a sure way to get unpredictable
results !-)

> There must have been some confusion and moving the settings.py file
> into the module resolved the name conflict and allowed Django to run
> correctly.

Hmmm. Not sure this is enough to cleanly solve your problem - might
seems to work but possibly not with the desired settings values. I
strongly suggest your read the relevant chapter in Python's FineManual
and experiment a bit with modules and packages to get a good enough
grasp of how all this works:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html

HTH
B.