Thank you all for your thoughts. I liked the link to article that
compares Drupal with Django. I wish there was a Joomla vs. Drupal
compariosn too.

A little background. I am a Django developer for almost 4 years.
Recently I submitted a proposal to undertake the web operation of a
community run orgnization. One vendor proposed Joomla and I have
proposed Django. Never mind, he says Joomla is a framework. That is
OK. What primarily differentiates the two proposals is that mine wants
to develop all modules in Django (and use available Django-based
softwate). While the other one wants to use Joomla as the base and and
claims it will write code to modify Joomla or develop new modules from
scratch. My proposal saves more money.

I personally think developers are used to a modern programming
language. It is about preference.

Hoosh