Much like programming, it will come from experience. Practice a lot. You'll
make a lot of things you aren't happy with, probably like your first bits of
code :) Try to imitate things you like, and see the techniques they use to
create cool designs. It, like anything else worth doing, will be easier with
experience. The best way is to just do. See if you have any artistic friends
that can give feedback on what you're creating. Try to identify what colors
work well together(a site like colourlovers.com is nice for finding color
schemes) and work with those.