Hey, haven't read the whole thread but I spend a whole day last month troubleshooting something like this.

In firefox, check your preffered language settings, in the content tab.

If there is a non-standard value there (perhaps "/etc/locale/prefs.conf" or something) instead of a locale like en-US,
some django pages won't ever display.

Nick