I have what I think is a common issue, but I have not seen a good
solution. I have tried various workarounds and got nowhere. So, here
what I would like to do and the problem I run into.

I want to have a template loader that looks for templates based upon a
user's current "site_profile", which is basically a version of what
site they are on. So I need the loader to look in:

templates/site_profile_name/template.html and return a 404 if it
doesn't exist.

Someone earlier had linked to
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/01/django-tips-template-loading-and-rendering/
but none of these really apply as they are at the view level and this
is not practical as I would need to make each and every view do a
select_template() for the site_profile string. A template loader seems
like a much more DRY approach. However I have to admit that, despite
hours of staring, I find the template loader code a little baffling.

The Django docs make a reference (in not recommending the
threads_local method) to calling a method/function that has access to
Request. But what would that be? I'm clearly not making some important
connection.

Thanks for any insight.