I have two tables where one is a foreign key for the other. For some
of the "children" there is no "parent".  Hence I want to leave the
linking field NULL (empty) in the child database table.  I am having
trouble making a queryset which finds all children without parents.  I
was thinking looking for the linking field to be <1 or None or
something.  Not working.  I'm thinking that it is because Django
cannot allow a child record to no have a parent when their a foreign
key defined?

I'm not using Django, yet, to put data into the database, so there are
children with no parents in the database.  This makes sense for the
purpose of the application, but I can't get Django to tell me which
children have no parents.

Thoughts?