On Aug 5, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Roald de Vries wrote:
On Aug 5, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Emily Rodgers wrote:

On Aug 5, 1:50 pm, Roald de Vries <downa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I have the following error, and don't know what it means:

    Error: One or more models did not validate:
update.personupdate: 'address' has a relation with model Address,
which has either not been installed or is abstract.

I did a pretty big refactoring, but I think the problems started when I separated my Person class into an abstract base class PersonProfile and a derived class Person, and added the class PersonUpdate, deriving
from PersonProfile too.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance, cheers,

Roald

Can you provide some code snippets from your model definitions?

I had adapted the error a little, but here the real code (in Dutch) and the corresponding errors. I can help you with the Dutch if it's necessary ;-).

#################
# in core.models:
#################

# ...
class Persoonprofiel(models.Model):
geslacht = models.CharField(max_length=8, choices=(('M', 'Man'), ('V', 'Vrouw')))
   voorletters    = models.CharField(max_length=12, blank=False)
   # ...
   class Meta:
       abstract = True
# ...
class Persoon(Persoonprofiel):
foto = models.ImageField(upload_to="personen_fotos", blank=True)
   titel          = models.CharField(max_length=100, blank=True)
   # ...
   class Meta:
       verbose_name = 'Persoon'
       verbose_name_plural = 'Personen'
       ordering = ['achternaam']

###################
# in update.models:
###################

# ...
class PersoonUpdate(Persoonprofiel):
   persoon      = models.ForeignKey('Persoon')
bezoekadres = models.ForeignKey('Adres', related_name='persoonupdates_als_bezoekadres', blank=True, null=True)
   # ...

#########
# errors:
#########

Error: One or more models did not validate:
update.persoonupdate: 'persoon' has a relation with model Persoon, which has either not been installed or is abstract. update.persoonupdate: 'bezoekadres' has a relation with model Adres, which has either not been installed or is abstract.
# ...

Solved. Solution: omit the quotes the referenced models that foreign keys refer to.