In theory, if the view passed that function to the template (or if it
were available as a method on something else that was passed to the
template), I suppose you could. That said, you wouldn't be able to
pass it any arguments.

Once again, the template is _not_ designed for programming logic. It's
_only_ designed for presentation. For the most part, if you want to
call a function, call it in the view.
-Justin