I have a django project, its a satchmo store.  I have noticed that
when the flatpages middleware is in my settings.py 404s seem to be
handled incorrectly.  i.e. if a page really does not exist the server
first sends a 302 response, then a 404.  When google crawls it only
sees the 302 so it thinks that something is there even tho nothing is
there.  Because of this combined with the fact that the structure of
the site recently significantly changed google has a lot of broken
links and none of them get fixed because the initial 302 makes google
think something is there.
I think this happens because the flatpages middleware intercepts 404s
to see if there is a flatpage, but it seems incorrect.  If I remove
the flatpages middleware 404 function correctly.  Has anyone else
noticed this or does anyone know of a workaround?  I need flatpages,
but I need 404s to behave correctly.