Thanks Klaas. That second one does seem related to my problem although
after a couple of days struggling with this issue I'm now at the
limits of my knowledge and don't know if it actually helps me :)

I found what seems like a related ticket that's been opened and closed
a couple of times and tentatively re-opened it with an explanation:
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/12812

I'm going to have to move on though and try and work around the
problem for now as this frustration is doing me no good at all :(

Phil

http://www.gyford.com/