On Oct 13, 2:34?am, Jonathan Barratt <jonathan.barr...@knifeict.com>
wrote:
> On 13 ?.?. 2010, at 10:19, Everett wrote:
>
> > I'm running Django on Windows. When I edited the settings.py file for
> > the MySql database I'm running in an XAMPP package, the Django
> > development server throws a bunch of unhandled exceptions. It starts
> > out like this:
>
> <snip>
>
> The most useful error message will be the last entry in the traceback rather
> than the start of it. Please provide that message and we may have more to go
> on.
>
> > Is this because of how I'm running the MySQL database? Or the
> > information in the settings.py file is off? Cause when I take all the
> > database settings out of the settings.py file the development server
> > runs fine.
>
> If there are no DB settings then obviously Django doesn't try to talk to the
> DB, so yes that does suggest the problem is in the Django-DB interaction.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> The first idea that pops into my head is that you may not have Python's MySQL
> bindings installed
> (perhttp://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#get-your-databas...),
>  which is available athttp://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/
>
> If do already have that package installed then we'll just have to see the
> most recent call that threw an exception...
>
> Best wishes,
> Jonathan

Ok I was just assuming Python already had the MySQL bindings.
So I've downloaded the MySQL-python-1.2.3.tar.gz, I decompressed it,
read that I needed easy_install or setuptools. So I installed
setuptools/easy_install but for some reason it won't install the MySQL-
python files. I tried getting easy_install to download it, wouldn't
work. I tried to get it to use the compressed version, still didn't
work. I'm guessing it's not working cause the easy_install needs an
egg file, yet there doesn't seem to be one in any of the directories.

As for the errors at the bottom of the thrown exceptions:

raise ImproperlyConfigured("Error loading MySQLdb module: %s" %e)
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading MySQLdb
module: No module named MySQLdb

does that help?

Thanks