At a client site, I have occasionally had her customers complain that
they get cookie errors when they try to log in, even though they have
cookies enabled and they are able to log in to other sites.  Clearing
out their cookies doesn't seem to help.  Most (95-99%) users can log
in fine.  The affected ones seem to be all internet explorer users,
but those are the majority of the site's users, so that may just be a
coincidence.

I had basically dismissed this all as a few funny user browsers
malfunctioning, but tonight my client herself got the same error, and
was also unable to log in to the django admin, also with a cookie
error, so I figure there's actually a real problem somewhere, and it's
not just in my code.

A few days ago I added the SESSION_COOKIE_DOMAIN setting to
".<client_domain>.com" so users would be able to use the same cookie
for both the www.<client_domain>.com and <client_domain>.com URLs,
thinking that might have been part of the problem, but that doesn't
seem to have helped.  Just now I cleared all the session rows out of
the database, to no avail.

Any ideas?  I'm hosting on webfaction, will post in their forums too.