> I know how to get python/django working on my computer (PC or Mac) and
> have developed simple test apps using django's built-in dev server and
> a mysql back-end. So I can get things to work and don't need help on
> installing stuff.

I take all the other advice in these threads (beginning with
relentless automated tests), and I put them into fabfile.py.

Programmers should consider command lines like 'python manage.py
syncdb' and 'git push origin master' as just components of a kit. We
have no reason to type those command lines over and over again, with
minor variations each time. We should use the kit to assemble a
programmer-friendly environment.

Here's a Fabric fabfile.py example:

def sh(cmd):  local(cmd, capture=False)

def _manage(command, flavor, extra=''):
    sh('python manage.py %s --settings=settings.%s %s' % (command,
flavor, extra))

def test():   _manage('test',  'test' , '--verbosity=0')
def shell():  _manage('shell', 'local')

def run():
    _manage('syncdb',  'local')
    _manage('loaddata', 'local', 'sample_database') #  CONSIDER  These
data should differ from the tests.py data.
    _manage('runserver', 'local')

I also move the clutter of test_settings.py, local_settings.py, etc to
a folder settings/, contain test.py, common_settings.py, local.py,
etc.

That fab file allows for short command lines:

  fab run  #  build a sample database from your test fixtures & launch
a server

  fab shell  #  use iPython for the best shell.

  fab ci:'what I did'  #  run all the tests then integrate

Also, read the book "Release It!", if you think you know how to battle-
harden a website for production!

--
  Phlip
  http://zeekland.zeroplayer.com/