By enabling sorl's error - reporting I get this error:

Caught OSError while rendering: (13, 'Permission denied')
Exception Location:     /usr/lib/python2.6/os.py in makedirs, line 157

So in tracing the error, I find that the os is trying to create a path
in:

<media>/cache/c4/dd

I'm guessing this is temp storage. As a debug measure I have made the
<media> dir world-writable. I've even tried creating a group, making
apache a member and chgrp the <media> path, all to no avail.

Remember, no error occurs when requesting the thumbnail generation via
the development server.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? They would be most welcome.

cheers,

-h