If it's just disk performance and ability to add on space, a simple
performance RAID (JBOD or RAID-0) attached internally, externally via
Firewire/eSATA, or as NAS from another machine. If you're worried
about a lot of files moving down the network concurrently, then you'll
certainly have to look into storage load balancing that Javier
recommended.

Of course, when you want to add storage space to the system,
regardless of which you're using, you'll have to be aware that adding
storage means you'll have to either map it to another folder or move
data around (either manually or via a partition tool to expand the
partition itself, which I wouldn't recommend).

Good luck,

Russ