On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 03:33:17 pm Phil wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> When it wasn't working I tried both from command line and from
> interpreter, from command line just says "command not found". No I
> wasn't calling the project that, I've tried a few different project
> names and none seem to work.
>
> Thanks for advice/ tips. I'll keep posted when I get to the bottom of
> it.

Sounds like django-admin.py is not in your path. see [1] about setting the
path for os x (the same instructions and explanation can go for linux/*nix)

The path in this case should have a listing fordjango/bin  (note no leading /,
I've named a relative path within the django checkout/install[2], you'll want
to add the absolute path for your system).

You're problem here suggests two things to me, 1. you're a novice to
python/django (it's fair, we all got to start somewhere). 2. you have no clue
on how any of your operating systems really work (again we have to start
somewhere).

I would suggest before you run off and make "the next big website", you sit
back and take a few weeks to learn the basics of both administration for your
operating systems (focusing on what os your site is going to run on in
production) and working with python before you start building your site. (if
this is a problem, i.e. you've taken a job without the minimum requirements
met and need to get this done now, then do them side by side).

If you don't, you'll find yourself with many more headaches like file
permissions, where files are uploaded and how to access them and store them
securly, dealing with module paths and import problems and even figuring out
how to get your webserver of choice to serve your django site. These are
mainly operating system issues.

Also learn the difference between a python module and a python application.
In this case django is a python module that provides a few python applications
to make the developers life easier. You should be able to recognize them on
sight and be able to use them both easily before you begin developing.

Also if you google your error and the command name[3] you'll see that the
solution for you in the first page of results (in this case the first hit[4]).
99% of most problems are answerable this way... as others have documented or
asked a similar question and given a solution from various sources. If your
google-fu isn't that great, time to practice this also. It'll save you much
time and headaches.

For me, these three things are essential: Knowing how a computer works,
knowing how your operating system works and knowing how a programming language
and the tools work are 3 different things and equally important in
development, regardless if it's a website, desktop application, or
server/service.

IMO a good developer is also a good admin and visa-versa. *being an admin led
me to being a developer, from wanting to understand how to debug and trace
application issues to get around problems*

Mike

[1] http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2621/os_x_change_path_environment_variable/
[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/bin
[3] http://www.google.com/search?q=command+not+found+%2Bdjango-admin.py
[4] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/InstallationPitfalls
--
The worst cliques are those which consist of one man.
                -- G.B. Shaw