I want to let you know that I have written some documents that could
really help with precisely what you are trying to do:

http://code.google.com/p/classcomm/wiki/CreateFromScratch

Then you can demo my application and learn about deploying a Django
based project for prod use here:

http://code.google.com/p/classcomm/wiki/ClasscommInstall

Hope this helps!