On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM, David Walker <d...@walker.cx> wrote:
> Thanks Lachlan.
>
> The middleware was the bit I was missing.  The only mention of it on
> the Django website appears to be on the Middleware page.  Perhaps it
> should go on the localisation pages?

There is a "How Django discovers language preference" section in the
translation deplomyment document

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/topics/i18n/deployment/

that describes the workflow followed to discover per user preferences.
That document is linked from the main internationalization page with
the following paragraph:

"For system administrators/final users setting up internationalized apps
or developers integrating third party apps: Deployment of translations."

If you think there is a better place for this part of the docs
please feel free to suggest it. I'm interested in cases as yours (you started
this thread with "despite reading round and round in circles in the
documentation, I am completely baffled about localisation and how it
works") so we can improve the organization of the i18n docs.

> The middleware allows the pages to be localised to the browser's
> locale, although there are still a number of strange behaviours
>
> [...]
>
> Have I got this right?
> Where do I/we go from here?
> Is there a better forum for this?
> Can I help improve things by writing bug reports?  enhancements
> requests? patches? documentation? or taking part in discussions?

Sorry for the late reply, I've had this message in draft for almost a week.
I will try to answer to the rest of your concerns after I digest and research
them in the following days.

Thanks for taking the time to describe and yes please if you can
open tickets for the issues you identified. although some of them might
have been already reported, you can search them in our Trac installation
filtering by Component = Internationalization.

Regards,

--
Ramiro Morales