For other to use, the final version for downloading the file is
bellow. ReferenceFile is my model.

import mimetypes
from django.core.servers.basehttp import FileWrapper
from django.http import HttpResponse

def download(request, id):
        file_to_download = get_object_or_404(ReferenceFile, pk=id)
        if file_to_download.filename_orig is not None:
                filename = '%s/%s' % (MEDIA_ROOT,file_to_download.file.path)
                wrapper = FileWrapper(open(filename))
                content_type = mimetypes.guess_type(filename)[0]
                response = HttpResponse(wrapper,content_type=content_type)
                response['Content-Length'] = os.path.getsize(filename)
                response['Content-Disposition'] = "attachment; filename=%s" %
file_to_download.filename_orig
                return response
[...]