Hey Simon

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Simon <simon.j.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing an app to allow users in a school to upload newsletters to our
> website, but I'm having problems using models.FileField in a generic view.
> I've set
> MEDIA_ROOT = '/data/school/media/'
> and MEDIA_URL is also set to a valid location. I've checked and re-checked
> permissions on the directories: www-data (apache user) has full RWX
> permissions. The model:
> class Newsletter(models.Model):
>     issue_date        = models.DateField()
>     issue_number      = models.IntegerField()
>     table_of_contents = models.TextField(null=True, blank=True)
>     pdf_file          = models.FileField(upload_to='newsletters', null=True,
> blank=True)
> In urls.py:
>     # Create newsletter detail
>     (r'^new/$',
>         CreateView.as_view(
>             model=Newsletter,
>             template_name='newsletter/edit.html',
>         )),
> If I set the pdf_file field so that a file is required, it fails every time
> with the error "This field is required", even though a file has been
> selected. If I set it to "null=True, blank=True" (as above) it takes no
> notice of the file I have selected in the "pdf_file" upload field.
> I'm not sure if I've missed something obvious. Searching around turns up an
> old bug which gives the same problem but was fixed years ago.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated, TIA.

Which enctype do you use when submitting the form? It does not work
with the default POST enctype, you have to use the following:

<form method="post" action="." enctype="multipart/form-data">

Matthias

--
Matthias Kestenholz - Dipl. Umwelt-Natw. ETH - Konzept & Programmierung
FEINHEIT GmbH - Molkenstrasse 21 - CH-8004 Zürich - www.feinheit.ch