The auth app includes support to use a profile model, configured with
AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE in settings, which the docs show you how to use.
Yes you can use inheritance, but you might assume it is a good idea to
use what the auth app promotes.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy