Python itself allocates memory in large chunks and can't release them
until all objects in them have been garbage collected. Older versions
of CPython didn't even release this chunks at all.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy