Hey guys,

I am an experienced Python developer starting to work on web service
backend system. The system feeds data (constantly) from the web to a
MySQL database. This data is later displayed by a frontend side (there
is no connection between the frontend and the backend). The backend
system constantly downloads flight information from the web (some of
the data is fetched via APIs, and some by downloading and parsing
text / xls files). I already have a script that downloads the data,
parses it, and inserts it to the MySQL db - all in a big loop. The
frontend side is just a bunch of php pages that properly display the
data by querying the MySQL server.

It is crucial that this web service be robust, strong and reliable.
Therefore, I have been looking into the proper ways to design it, and
got the following recommendation:
django as the framework (over Apache).
wrapping my sources with Piston for API usage.
All if this sounds great. I used django before to write websites (aka
request handlers that return data). However I don't see how django can
fulfill a role of a constant running (non request-serving) system -
being that it uses views/forms, which are not a part of my backend
system. Is want I want at all possible / advisable with django? Is
django what you would recommend for this?
If so, could you please refer me to some documentation / help files
more specific to my needs?

Thank you so much,
Aviv