I did try to delete the db and yes I had to create a new superuser
after, however this did not fix the problem.  I also reset the db from
the command-line and same result.
Also, it is not a capslock issue, first thing I checked ;-)
The only thing I can think of that is non-standard would be the fact
that this is on a usb drive, however this shouldn't make a difference
as after copying the projects to my internal HDD I get the same
result.

Is there some way to get more debug info(compared to just saying that
the username/password is wrong)?