You're probably right about using Postgres.  Postgres is rock solid,
scalable, and easy to use.

I've recently had a need to create a bridge between PostgreSQL and SQlite.
 Primarily because I use SQlite in my dev environments, but use PostgreSQL
in production.  I have been planning to write something to allow all data to
be moved back and forth.  It sounds like you have a data sync service.  Any
thoughts on open sourcing that code?  Anyone else know of a project that
already does this?

Thanks,
Brian

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM, David Goehrig <d...@nexttolast.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend going the PostgreSQL route.  I have a number of apps that use
> the architecture where Postgres is running in a federated multi-master setup
> with client side SQLite db used as local cache. Building a data sync service
> between the two using django to ship models via a RESTishAPI degerates into
> a trivial task.
>
> For one large deployment with tens of millions of documents with tens of
> millions of users we have no problems on a handfull of commodity servers.
>
> -=-=- d...@nexttolast.com -=-=-
>
> On May 4, 2011, at 6:32 AM, VoodooH <radu.hasan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > We currently have a desktop software that uses a sqlite embedded
> > database. We are now gonna develop the online version for our software
> > and we need your opinion on these matters :
> >
> > 1. We were thinking of giving our users the option to switch between
> > the online and offline version of the software by simply moving the
> > sqlite database between the two applications. This would save us a lot
> > of dev time for now, but we are afraid that we will have scalability
> > issues later. There will be around 10 000 users at least, so at least
> > 10 000 sqlite independent databases. The other option of course is a
> > very big PostgreSQL database. There will be millions, if not tens of
> > millions of records in this BIG database.
> >
> > Which version do you recommend between the two ? Should we go for the
> > fast development sqlite version or build a database from scratch and
> > make some import/export tools between the two apps ?
> >
> > 2. If we were to go for the big database version, which one yould you
> > recommend between PostgreSQL, MySQL and ORACLE ?
> >
> > 3. Any ideas on how it would be best to implement a sync tool between
> > the desktop and the SaaS if we go for the PostgreSQL version ?
> >
> > Thank you very much !
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Radu
> >
> > --