> 1. What is the purpose of using a web framework like django? Could I
> get the same functionality by just using pythong cgi and python to
> access mysql? (like php scripting)
A web application framework is a software framework that is designed
to support the development of dynamic websites, web applications and
web services. The framework aims to alleviate the overhead associated
with common activities performed in Web development. For example, many
frameworks provide libraries for database access, templating
frameworks and session management, and they often promote code reuse.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Django provides libraries for database access, a custom template
language, forms, sessions and loves the DRY-principle. Other batteries
included. http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/#other-batteries-included

It is also incredibly easy to extend Django's capabilities by
writing/reusing apps for your Django project.

> Could I get the same functionality by just using pythong cgi and python to
> access mysql? (like php scripting)

Probably; but that is like if you were to ride a monstrous and untamed
Warhorse, having this cute and little pony which can already do a 100
tricks. :-)

Kenny