Utf-8 and line endings are orthogonal issues. The problem is not that the files
are not in utf-8, but that windows and Linux don't agree on what character
means line-end.

You will run into problems shipping unmodified windows line endings to a Linux
box. Luckily the answer is git. This can be configured to automagically do the
conversions.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos